Sunday, August 5, 2007

Hill High Orchard

One of the reasons that Nancy let's me go to the aforementioned Berryville Hamfest, is that I can stop at Hill High Orchard in Round Hill, VA. I was introduced to this place almost 20 years ago by friends who lived nearby. They'd get a pie from there on Sunday mornings and it was amazing! This is a little general store with a Conestoga wagon in front which bakes these wonderful pies. You usually have your choice of 12 to 15 different pies and there's not a clunker in the bunch. Nancy loves their French Apple, but I don't like raisins. They should know there place! Not in bread! Not in pies! Just in Raisin Bran, where it belongs! Anyway, this gives me a perfect excuse to buy a second pie, but since we only do this once a year (OK, sometimes twice) I don't feel guilty. Also, every year for the last three, we've heard rumors about it closing, but so far the wagon, the duck pond, and the pies are still there. So if you're ever on Route 7 in western Loudoun County, get a pie; or two.

No comments: